Saturday, March 15, 2014

Heliopath Vest KAL - Week 3 - Cables and Lace

WHAT A WEEK! Where to start?

First, I'm not a mom. I don't have kids (not that I don't like kids before you get all "hater" on me) so I'm not really used to what it's like having them around. And then my bestie, who is in town for a friends wedding, descended with her two kids. A 2 year old (almost 3) girl and a 5 year old boy.

Allow me to say to ALL mothers out there: hats off to YOU! This is hard work. And they're not even mine. And they're only here for 8 days (we're just on day 3 right now). I. am. exhausted. While I'll miss the kids, I'll probably be pretty pumped to have my life back to "my normal" when they leave.

Also, right as they arrived, I published my first paid pattern: The Lausox. I am so excited to say that 8 people have already bought the pattern. I know 8 doesn't sound like a lot in 3 days but to me it's pretty darn exciting. I sure hope people love knitting the socks as much as I did designing them.

On top of these two events, allow me to add a third. This weekend I am officiating my first wedding ceremony. I can hardly believe its actually here. This may well also be my last ceremony as it's not what I'm planning to do with my life at all but it sure is an honor to be asked. Here's hoping I don't cry through the whole thing. I was asked, by the way, because I introduced the couple to one another. SQUEEEE! Right?! It's so freaking exciting.

Ok, so to the reason you're all here. KNITTING!!!

This week we're officially scheduled to start the Cables and Lace pattern of the Heliopath Vest KAL. How much fun is this, right? The first row, worked on the wrong side of the garment, is the trickiest and from there on out it's a breeze. I hope you're all finding the same thing.

As I write these posts, I do get a little ahead of the plan so I can photograph the work and I'm a bit embarrassed to show you that I'm only 5 rows into the pattern as this week was crazy (see above) but to also admit that I got a bit cocky. I totally thought I had the pattern memorized from the gauge swatch and I knit 7 rows. And then looked at the pattern. And realized I had K2tog instead of P2tog on the lace pattern on the wrong side. Thus... froggy time. Boo. Urns.

So "technically" I knitted (knit? Is that a past tense or just bad grammar?) 13 rows but only 5 of them are showing.


Before I get on to showing off all the speed demons who have blasted past me on this KAL I thought I'd share a little "peace of mind" with you. It's another simple little trick that makes sense to me when I'm working repeat patterns like this. Stitch markers.


I've got two colors. The two blue stitch markers indicate the stitches before and after the repeat sections of the pattern (the stuff inside the red box) and then the pink stitch markers show the beginning/end of each pattern repeat section so I can make sure my counts are always correct for each section. 

Ok, on to the bragging portion of this. Well... is it bragging if I'm showing off for other people?! I'm blown away by the talent on this KAL. Here's a hearty "WAY TO GO, MATEY" to everyone plowing ahead. 







I hope you're all enjoying working this vest as much as I am. Next week is a catch up week for those of us, like me, who have fallen a bit behind so if you're still waiting for yarn to arrive or working on your ribbing, don't panic. There's still plenty of time to catch up.

I hope you'll all cheer each other on here, on Instagram using #heliopathkal or in our Heliopath Kal Ravelry discussion board, and tagging me, @socalmeaghan, and my good buddy @ghostfaceknitter.

Keep your fingers crossed I don't bawl all the way through the ceremony on Saturday and I'll update you next weekend as to how it went (in case you're curious... if you're not then you can skip that part). 

Keep in mind, to be eligible for a prize, you need to finish your Vest (and post images... not blocked is ok, but ends woven in) by 11:59 PST on Saturday, April 12th. Use the tags above on Instagram or post to the discussion board.  

Happy knitting!




No comments:

Post a Comment