Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Turn It Up To 11 - MKAL - Getting Started

Ok, so as I type this I'm wondering if this is "technically" the start of the MKAL. But I kinda feel like it's not because "technically" anyone can join us on May 1st and still catch up by the time the second clue is released. Consider this pre-work... the stuff you gotta do so that you totally rock at the KAL.

But before we get there, let's make sure you've got the pattern downloaded: 

So this pre-work is pretty simple. This week we're just doing a gauge swatch. We aren't even measuring the thing yet. That's gonna come next week. And yes, I know you know how to measure a gauge swatch. But just in case you have done it before and stuff STILL hasn't fit (you KNOW that's happened... it's happened to me) we're going to walk through all the simple steps on how to measure it and then how to apply it. And we're also going to knit the toe so don't be all like "aw man, this MKAL is LAAAAAAME". It's not. I promise. By the time you're done you're gonna rock at knitting socks and will want knit them all the time.

Ok, so, per the steps in this week's initial release, we're going to cast on and work in the round using the Magic Loop Method. Again, I know many folks know how to knit in Magic Loop so if you already know, you can stop reading right now and go cast on and do your thing. If you're not 100% sure, let's go through it.

First, using the standard Long Tail Cast-On method we're going to cast on the stitches.

Oh, and yeah, I'm using the "Carey" colorway. It's sooooo pretty!


Now to create your Magic Loop using this crazy long needle.

Step 1: Move all of your stitches to the middle of the cable:


Step 2: Divide the stitches in half and pull the loop through the middle two stitches so you  have an even number of stitches on either side of your cable:


Step 3: Move your two sets of stitches out to the points of the needles, being sure your stitches aren't twisted:

Now you'll have the tails from your cast-on on the right hand needle. This "right hand" needle with the tails is the one you pull forward so that the cable is holding those stitches and your right hand needle is just like any other needle you would knit ONTO. 

I'm not going to bother reinventing the wheel on this with a video as there are TONS of Magic Loop video tutorials out there. I CAN if you want (because apparently my voice makes some people giggle...) but only if you ask nicely. :) Otherwise I recommend you check out YouTube if the above pictures haven't cleared it up for you.

By the time you're done with your swatch and bound off you'll have a little tube with nice roll-y edges. And when I say "nice" I mean super duper annoying. But that's knitting in the round without any purl stitches. It's just part of knitting. 

Ok, for serious. I love this colorway. I hope you are all loving your yarn as much as I am despite the fact that it's still just a tube.



So now we're going to block our swatch. Yeah... I know. Also super boring, right? But it'll help in the long run. 

When I block I treat my knits the way I would when I wash them. I know many folks block down the corners of their knits with blocking pins. And there's nothing inherently wrong with that. It's totally fine if you plan to also pin down your knitting every time you wash it. Which some people do. I just would rather not spend the time (except in the case of shawls, of course). 

So, first and foremost I grab my wool wash, in this case it's SOAK in the "Celebration" scent. Mmm, mmm, good! I add a drop or two (or too many in some cases like when I'm blocking in a bowl instead of a sink). Then I dunk my swatch in there and let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes (or 5 hours if you forget like I tend to do). 


And then?! Just lay that sucker out to dry!


And then wait horribly impatiently (and I already know I'm going to get texts from some of you whining about how long it is until May 1st) like me for the first clue to be released next week. 

In the meantime, please go say "hi" on our Ravelry group, both in the MKAL discussion and of course in the "Show Me Your Mug" section. I want to see all your beautiful faces. And if you have questions, ask them here, ask them in Ravelry or on Instagram.

And SPEAKING of Instagram! Come follow me. I will want to follow you back if I see you using #turnitupto11mkal, #tuksockmkal and #unapologeticknitter. I want to see all of your projects coming along, what yarn you'll be working with for this MKAL and all your future work too. 
**NOTE: "tuk" stands for "The Unapologetic Knitter - I thought it was obvious but I've been asked too many times for me NOT to clarify it for you**

Next Thursday the first clue will be released so get ready. The awesomeness begins soooooon! Can't wait to knit with all of you!!! 




4 comments:

  1. i can't wait to see! also don't laugh but the 'soaking knitted items in a bowl' instead of in the bathroom sink like i do - FREAKING GENIUS. i literally slapped the side of my head and was like 'by jove! TUK has got it!' haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cracks me up because I TOTALLY had that "Aha" moment last December when I saw Ewe Ewe soaking in a bowl instead of a sink. So much easier (and uses way less wool wash). Glad you got something out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any wool wash... YET. Can I just use a tiny bit of Woolite or my regular no-crappy-stuff-added detergent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, yes. Woolite would be great. Just a tsp in a gallon of water should do it. Soap can just make the fibers tighten up more than regular water so it's best to use something for a more accurate swatch. Great question!

      Delete